DJI Ryze Tello Selfie Drone Flight Test Review
This small selfie drone is easy to transport, setup, and fly, and produces excellent stabilized aerial video and photos. Find it here https://amzn.to/2JlgdKT
– Optical flow and 3D stereo IR stabilization system provides very steady automatic hover of the quadcopter. This allows you to let it fly itself while you focus on setting up the video and photo shoot.
– 720p 5MP camera with electronic image stabilization (EIS) produces very steady video without need for a gimbal.
– Onboard Intel processor provides rapid computation ability for the EIS and hover stabilization systems.
– Telemetry information (remaining battery power, speed, and height), FPV video/photos are viewed and recorded directly to your phone using the Tello app. Tello app is available on Google Play here https://goo.gl/MdqDSP and iTunes here https://goo.gl/FY75iv
– Tello app includes intelligent flight modes of Bounce, 8D Flips, and Throw and Go (Hand launching and landings). Also includes EZ Shot modes of 360 Pan, Circle Position, and Up and Away (simulating a video crane shot).
– Can also be flown as a sport drone with bluetooth gamepad controllers. But doing such will corrupt FPV video as bluetooth operates on the same 2.4Ghz frequency as WiFi.
– 3.8V 1100mah battery provides over 12 minutes flight time.
– Does not require FAA registration
– Brushed motors. They will wear out eventually and need replaced. Treat them with care and they should last a reasonable period of time (minimize doing flips and always land in a location that does not restrict propeller movement).
– Video is sent to phone via WiFi. As such, video will incur inherent WiFi freezing and frame dropping (skipping). Unfortunately, there is no way to correct such other than redesign to include an onboard SD card for recording purposes.
– Some peolpe seem to be having problems running the Tello app. Recommend reading the app’s reviews on both Play and iTunes to see if your particular phone might have issues. Also recommend closing all non-needed running background apps prior to using Tello.
– No optical tracking follow me capability. Probably due to the level facing camera (optical tracking follow me works best with downward tilted camera). Maybe a future version can incorporate follow me?
This video along with every video of the Quadcopter 101 channel was produced and edited with VSDC Free Video Editor. You may download this excellent, and no kidding “free” video editor here http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor
Affiliate links: At no cost to you, I do receive a small commission for sales resulting from these links.
“Awel” by stefsax
is licensed under a Creative Commons license:
music was shortened to fit length of video.