A news article found on KDWN AM 720‘s website, reports that a young woman lounging by the Palms Place Resort pool in Las Vegas, NV, was struck by a drone. The woman, whose name has not been released, was sent to a local hospital after sustaining a serious injury to her upper leg from a drone that ‘fell out of the sky’.
Kristen Rebollo witnessed the incident, stating “Something just hit her in the leg and we looked over and she just started screaming”.
Video Source: “Drone falls from the sky at hotel pool, injures woman” via KTNV Channel 13 Las Vegas
The reports also claim that the drone’s battery also burst into flames, and burned through a pool chair.
Palms Place said in a statement it has strict policies against anything being launched or thrown off of balconies.
“At Palms, the safety and comfort of our guests is our top priority. In addition to being a violation of Nevada law prohibiting flying unmanned aircraft systems (drones) within five miles of the airport, the resort has strict policies prohibiting items being launched or thrown off of the balconies. Any violation of this policy is grounds for strict dismissal and removal from the property, an action which was immediately taken in this instance.”
The drone operator, who was a guest at the resort, was immediately kicked out of the hotel. It was also noted that the hotel is located within 5 miles of McCarran Airport, so the drone operator would have been required to notify air traffic control and airport manager.
Please stay tuned to the UAV Expert News for updates on this story.