Remember when you were a child and wanted to fly?
Well GoFly, along with Boeing, the Grand Sponsor, wants to make that dream a reality with the GoFly Prize contest. The GoFly Prize is a $2,000,000 challenge to create a personal flying device that is safe, useful, and thrilling.
GoFly is about flying people, not flying taxis. Today we look to the sky and say “that plane is flying.” The goal of the GoFly Prize is to foster the development of safe, quiet, ultra-compact, near-VTOL personal flying devices capable of flying twenty miles while carrying a single person.
The device is for a single person, but what it looks like or how it works is up to you. They welcome revolutionary design, and while all devices must be able to fly a person, you have the option to use a mannequin to simulate the user and can operate the device as a remotely piloted or autonomous UAV. The device should function safely in both crowded cities and rural areas; it should be lightweight and maneuverable enough so that anyone can move it around, and it should be quiet not only for the user but also for the general public.
Ready… set… GoFly.
The GoFly Prize Competition will award $2,000,000 in prizes over three phases, culminating in a Final Fly Off in the Autumn of 2019.
Prizes will be awarded for each phase of the Competition as follows:
- Up to ten $20,000 prizes awarded based on a written report.
- Up to four $50,000 prizes awarded based on revised Phase I material (or for new teams new Phase I material) and demonstrated performance of progress to date.
- One $1,000,000 Grand Prize awarded for the best overall fly-off score.
- One $250,000 prize for the quietest compliant entry.
- One $250,000 prize for the smallest compliant entry.
- One $100,000 prize awarded for disruptive advancement of the state of the art.
For the full list of Technical Rules, click here. For more information please visit the GoFly Website.