Yuneec just unveiled three new drones today at CES.
Two of the three represent brand new forays for Yuneec: the HD Racer drone is their very first racing drone, and the fixed wing Firebird FPV is their first ever fixed wing drone.
The third drone they released today is an enhanced version of their Typhoon H, the Typhoon H Plus.
These three drones represent an expansion by Yuneec into new sectors. Since laying off 50-70% of their staff last March, Yuneec seems to be bouncing back, aggressively promoting their commercial drone, the H520, at trade shows such as InterDrone and elsewhere.
The entrance into the fixed wing and racing categories provides an opportunity for pilots and enthusiasts to use Yuneec products in fun, new ways and expand their creative possibilities.
– Wenyan Jiang, Chairwoman and Co-Founder of Yuneec International
Both the racer and the fixed wing are listed on the Yuneec site as “Fun Flying” drones (along with the Breeze), which indicates that Yuneec is doubling down on producing consumer-focused drones. Given the stranglehold DJI has on that segment of the market, it will be interesting to see what kind of traction Yuneec is able to make with these two new drones.
Want to learn more about Yuneec’s new drones? Read on!
The HD Racer, Yuneec’s first racing drone, fits in the palm of your hand.
It comes with built-in flight stabilization, and beginner and advanced modes that allow pilots of varying skill levels to try their hand at drone racing.
According to Yuneec, the HD Racer’s compact size, protected blades, and durable construction make it safe to fly indoors.
The racing drone comes with an optimized, all-digital, low latency HD video downlink, and allows pilots to record and share their top racing moments in high resolution 1080p at 60fps. If pilots do crash, a ‘Flip-Up’ mode automatically uprights the downed drone, which is pretty neat.
The HD Racer will retail at a low $179.99, and will be available in the second half of 2018.
Specs & Details
- Take-off Weight: 2.3oz (65g)
- Battery: 1S 550mAh LI-PO Length: 5.3in (135mm)
- Width: 5.1in (130mm)
- Height: 1.8in (45mm)
- Flight Time: Up to 6 min
- Advanced HD Video link with near zero delay for unmatched immersive racing experience (Video latency under 100ms)
- Built-in flight stabilization with beginner and advanced modes for any experience level
- Compact size, protected blades, and durable construction enable safe flying indoors
Typhoon H Plus
The Typhoon H Plus is a bigger, badder—and quieter—Typhoon H.
It features an all-new, larger, highly stable six rotor hex airframe, 40% reduction in noise from previous hex models, and stable flight in winds up to 30mph.
The Typhoon H Plus is equipped with a high aperture one-inch sensor camera capable of 20 megapixel stills and 4K resolution video at 60fps. The new model also comes with improved low-light performance compared to previous models, as well as a rotation gimbal and retractable landing gear that provide 360-degree unobstructed views.
The Typhoon H Plus will retail at $1,799.99, and is slated to be available in the first half of 2018.
Specs & Details
- Diagonal size: 520mm
- Weight (with camera): 4.4 lbs
- Horizontal speed: 30mph
- Flight time: 28 minutes
- Battery: Lipo 4s 5250mAh
- Extremely stable flight in winds up to 30 mph
- Quietest drone in its category—40% reduction from previous hex models
- Highly reliable PX4 flight stack based on Dronecode’s universal platform
- Powered by ST16S Smart Controller with built-in 7-inch high resolution display
The Firebird FPV is a lightweight fixed-wing drone whose design extends flight time up to 30 minutes.
According to Yuneec, the fixed wing design allows “the user to fly as if they were in the cockpit of a real airplane…[elevating] the senses for new and experienced pilots alike.”
Like the HD Racer, the Firebird FPV was created for both beginners and experienced pilots, which means that it’s pretty easy to fly. It comes with a Safety Mode that prevents the drone from flying too low by allowing pilots to set a floor altitude, and it also includes the features you’d expect, such as Return Home and Auto Landing.
The Firebird FPV will retail at $699.99, and is slated to be available in the first half of 2018.
Specs & Details
- Take off weight (with battery): 242.3oz (1200g)
- Wing Span: 47.2in (1200mm)
- Length: 32.7in (830mm)
- Flight speed: Max. 52 mph
- Flight Time: 25-30min
- Real time HD Video Transmission with First-Person-View goggles
- Safety Mode – removes all concern of flying too low by making it impossible to descend below the set “floor”
- Quick, no-hassle wing assembly for portability